In 1889 Calvary Baptist Church was established as the Second Baptist Church, located at 1st and B Street. In 1926 the church moved to the corner of Crosby (now Cesar E. Chavez Parkway) and Julian Street and was renamed Calvary Baptist Church.
In 1942, the Senior Pastor was Rev. N.E. “Son” Taylor. Under his leadership, services were broadcast on local radio from the church auditorium, the 1st Hammond organ was purchased and became known for its music ministry.