Calvary Baptist Church
719 Cesar E Chavez Parkway, San Diego, California 92113
Opening Date: June 9, 2022
Closing Date: June 30, 2022
Under the direction of the Chief Financial Officer the temporary, part-time Administrative Assistant will serve the Calvary Baptist Church by providing various administrative duties on behalf of the church staff and officers.
- Create a warm, welcoming atmosphere in the office lobby area. Actively engage with visitors, church members, pastors, staff, and the community in a friendly manner.
- Identify and collect contact and background information for first-time visitors and guests. Maintain a database of first-time visitors and guests to be shared weekly with the pastor or leadership team along with suggestions of connecting points within the ministry.
- Responsible for updating the Church calendar and inputting events with pertinent information. Collaborate with the custodial team on set up, tear down, and other essential details such as AV support.
- Responsible for maintaining the staff directory and updating the telephone system for new and departed staff. Ensure all email list serves are current as changes occur in staffing, leadership, and/or membership.
- Schedule Zoom meetings and events for ministry groups and Directors when necessary.
- Order and maintain church-wide staff administrative supplies and serve as a point of contact for copier service requests.
- Collaborate with the leadership team on preparing the agenda for Church Council and Church Conference meetings. Distribute agenda and supporting materials to members. Attend all meetings, record attendance, and take minutes.
- Provide administrative support to the pastoral and leadership team including preparation of reports and other documents. Make copies, folders, packets, and other materials for various classes, sessions, and ministries
- Assist with compiling the weekly Prayer Requests into one report and disseminating them to the pastoral team and other appropriate individuals.
- Assist with answering incoming telephone calls, determining the purpose of callers, announcing calls, and forwarding calls to the appropriate person or department. Retrieve messages from the main voice mail and forward them to appropriate personnel. Take and deliver messages or transfer calls to voice mail. Configure phone messaging as appropriate to accommodate holidays and special events.
- Assist with accepting package deliveries and handling pickups from carriers such as UPS and Federal Express. Contact staff regarding deliveries as needed.
- Assist with sorting and distributing all mail received for the Church and related entities.
- Other duties as assigned by the leadership team
Education, Skills, and Abilities:
- Two-year college degree or 1-2 years of experience directly related to the duties and responsibilities of the position.
- Provide excellent first impression, especially when interacting with members and guests.
- Ability to effectively and efficiently multi-task, prioritize and deal with interruptions while meeting timely deadlines.
- Demonstrated ability to work in an environment that values diversity and inclusion.
- Strong understanding of Christian discipleship to advance the vision and mission of Calvary Baptist Church and the ability to articulate strong faith and excitement for the church.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, and Other Characteristics:
- Ability to work well under pressure and model a professional demeanor, servant’s heart, and a can-do attitude. Be a team player and always be of service and assistance.
- Ability to take overall initiative, responsibility, and ownership for the development and administration of groups of volunteers.
- Manage competing demands and adapt to changes in the work environment.
- Ability to collaborate with pastors, staff, lay leaders, and others in all phases of program ministry, guest engagement, membership, and communications.
- Ability to communicate and empathize with congregation members; effectively problem solve with conflict management and negotiation tools.
- Efficiency, professionalism, promptness, and good telephone presentation
- Ability to apply common sense and good judgment to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral or diagram form.
- Ability to compose correspondence and effectively present information in one-on-one and small group situations to pastors, members, guests, and colleagues.
- Manage difficult or emotional members’ and guests’ interactions by responding promptly to their needs and requests for service and assistance.
- Passion for engaging with people utilizing relational and organizational intelligence needed to succeed in a congregational setting.
- Commitment to continuing growth in cultural competence and professional development.
- Competencies in MS Suite: Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, and Zoom.
Roles and Relationships:
- Communicate front office protocols to all staff so there is consistency and unity of message.
- Partner with the leadership team in the creation and implementation of the guest engagement and membership strategic plan.
- Provide feedback on overall successes and obstacles in meeting goals and objectives.
All applicants must provide the following information:
- Letter of intent (Cover Letter)
- Current Resume
All correspondence should be forwarded by electronic mail to:
Calvary Baptist Church
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer