Calvary Baptist Church
719 Cesar E Chavez Parkway, San Diego, California 92113
Opening Date: Monday, March 21, 2022
Closing Date: Friday, May 27, 2022
The pastoral search committee of Calvary Baptist Church greets you in the name of our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ. Believing that God is the One who calls pastors to shepherd his people (Jeremiah 3:15), the Calvary Baptist Church is prayerfully seeking God’s choice for the position of Senior Pastor. The Pastor must be God fearing, demonstrate an enthusiastic love for Christ, possess and apply a comprehensive knowledge of the Bible, utilize the Baptist doctrine, and have a clearly defined vision for the Church.
The Calvary Baptist Church was established over 133 years ago. We are proudly situated in the Barrio Logan community of San Diego, California since 1889, and we currently have a congregation of approximately 100 members. The city of San Diego is beautifully located in the southwestern corner of California in San Diego County with a population of approximately 3,000,000.
The Senior Pastor is the spiritual leader of the church. He/she is responsible to the Lord and the church to primarily proclaim the gospel and teach the Bible. He/she is to be engaged in pastoral care, provide supervisory and administrative leadership in all areas of congregational care, including paid and volunteer staff.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Plan and conduct worship services, prepare and deliver sermons, and serve as the lead in the observance of ordinances (Baptism and the Lord’s Supper).
- Lead and teach members and visitors in weekly prayer meetings and Bible Study.
- Lead an effective care ministry of the sick and shut-in members.
- Lead the Church’s evangelical expansion and effectiveness in the church and beyond.
- Establish a presence in the community with outreach ministries and events.
- Inspire and motivate church members to operate in a spirit of excellence while using their gifts and talents for God.
- Provide pastoral counseling, perform wedding ceremonies, conduct funerals, and perform dedication services of children.
- Lead in planning, organizing, directing, coordinating, and evaluating all the Church ministries.
- Mentor the church leadership and members as they perform their assigned ministerial responsibilities.
- Participate in local association, state convention, and national convention with which Calvary is affiliated.
- Facilitate all Christian development training, including ministerial training.
- Abide by the Word of God, church by-laws and church ordinances.
- Serve as administrator of the paid church staff; supervise the work of the ministry staff, both volunteer and paid ministers and directors.
Qualifications and giftedness should be pursuant to 1 Timothy 3:1-7, Titus 1:6-9, 1 Timothy 5:17, 2 Timothy 2:24-25 (Holy Conduct); Malachi 3:10,(Tither), and Galatians 5: 22-23 (Christian Conduct)
The successful candidate will meet the following qualifications:
- Must be a licensed and ordained Minister who has received the Divine calling and has demonstrated the commitment to the call.
- Must have a minimum of 5 years pastoral experience (e.g. Senior Pastor, Assistant Pastor, or a combination of both).
- Must have minimum of Bachelor’s degree and/or accredited seminary degree.
- Must have church administration and organizational skills.
- Must have a clear understanding of the Baptist Doctrine and Articles of Faith.
- Must be an effective communicator, demonstrate the ability to prepare and deliver biblically sound lessons and messages.
- A record of community involvement is preferred.
- Must be committed to church growth.
- Must be able to articulate a vision for the church that emphasizes spiritual growth and development.
- Must serve to provide spiritual leadership that will lead the congregation to live as the body for Christ.
- Must possess the following attributes: personal relationship with Jesus, integrity, passion, vision, humility, fiscal responsibility, purpose, drive, good communication skills, compassion, mentoring skills, peaceful spirit, patience, teaching skills, gentleness, temperance, and perseverance.
All applicants must provide the following information:
- Letter of intent (Cover Letter)
- Current Resume
- Copy of Ministerial License and Certificate of Ordination
- Verification of Theology training/degree
- Two recent sermons on DVD or CD
- Response to Narrative Statements
- Five (5) letters of recommendation (2 clergy, 1 personal, and 2 layperson)
- Other information/items may be required throughout the interview process
Salary and Benefits
- Salary Negotiable
- Other benefits will be negotiated after hire.
Download Vacancy Announcement, Narrative Statements and Application via the links below.
All correspondence should be forwarded by certified mail to:
Calvary Baptist Church
Attn: Pastoral Search Committee
c/o Chairperson Ashley Milner
719 Cesar E. Chavez Parkway
San Diego, CA 92113
Deadline for submission of materials is on or before Friday, May 27, 2022.
The Committee will acknowledge receipt of all resumes and letters of interest.
All information presented will be treated as confidential. Final candidates must consent to perform a Criminal History Background Check, Substance Abuse History Check, and Credit and Financial History Review (performed through an outside agency for complete confidentiality).
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer